Apollo%20LeonidasQuantcast

4.13.2010

What We're Missing is a Revolution...and Respect

I remember just a week or so ago remarking to a friend, "You know, I am so sick of the complacency in this nation. What we are missing in this nation is passion! That's something that made us great." and I hereby retract that statement. Yes, I believe there is an alarming amount of complacency in this nation, and I would love that to change, but I now see that we have quite a bit of passion here in our lil ol' nation. I think what we're missing, though, is Respect. Today I read a story about Reverend Phelps and his Westboro gang, and I was truly appalled by their sheer disregard for the respect of life. (You can find the story to which I'm referring here) And just a few weeks ago, the media was filled with reports of Teabaggers throwing slurs at our Congress members. Why is it that our citizens have come to the brink of savagery? To where have our respectful movements disappeared? Where is our ability to see and sculpt the future?

Yes, Westboro assholes, say what you want, whenever you want, wherever you want; such is the current state of free speech. However, I firmly believe this definition and legal upholding of free speech is bullshit. It's time to evolve, people. The Constitution states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech" and I believe that is the nail in the coffin that the Founding Fathers unwittingly included that gives religion whatever rights it wants to have. How I read that is: as long as it's a religious movement, then Congress can legally have no say in changing it. So why don't all the homosexuals just create a religion celebrating homosexuality? We could then get married and adhere to a loophole in the Constitution to ensure whatever we wanted could be carried out by us. I think it is about time for some real reform. It is time for a revolution, people.

1 comment:

  1. Nice! I am a huge fan of not fighting the system. Rather, joining the system and being better at their game then they are.

    I think you are on to something with this whole, Gay as a religion, thing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for adding to the discussion :)